Trump visits Mount Rushmore amid controversy, coronavirus concerns

President Donald Trump will begin his July Fourth celebrations with a trip to Mount Rushmore on Friday despite concerns about gathering a large crowd during the novel coronavirus pandemic and criticism from Native Americans about the visit.

Trump will view a fireworks display with thousands of people at the South Dakota landmark, which depicts the images of U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.

The site has not had fireworks since 2009 because of environmental concerns. Trump advocated for a resumption of the display, and the state says the surrounding Black Hills National Forest has "gained strength" since then and that fireworks technology has advanced.

It will be the Republican president's latest event with large crowds, defying health experts' recommendations to avoid big gatherings amid a spate of recent spikes of COVID-19 cases across the country.

Some 7,500 people are expected to attend the outdoor event. Masks will be available but are not required.

South Dakota Republican Governor Kristi Noem told Fox News earlier this week that those who had concerns could stay home and said "we won't be social distancing."

Trump won the reliably Republican-leaning state in 2016. He has been criticized for holding large events with little social distancing in Oklahoma and Arizona in recent weeks. On Thursday he predicted a "fireworks display like few people have seen."

Native Americans, who reportedly plan to protest during the trip, have criticized Trump's visit for

Read more: http://electionnewschannel.com/top-news/144733-trump-visits-mount-rushmore-amid-controversy-coronavirus-concerns

Don't Be Fooled, Recent Coronavirus Data Suggests the Lockdowns Were a Colossal Mistake

In various states across the nation, there’s been a noticeable trend of an increase in coronavirus cases. While this fact makes the headlines, the detail that seems to get overlooked is the fact that deaths have declined. Florida, Arizona, Texas, California, and Ohio are among the states that have experienced spikes in cases but have maintained declining death rates or no spike in deaths.

How is this possible? Conventional wisdom suggests that a spike in cases should result in a spike in deaths, but that has not panned out. The protests and riots following George Floyd’s death have been going on for nearly a month now. Surely a spike in deaths should shave occurred by now. But so far, it hasn’t. 

Why not? 

According to Justin Hart, an information architect and data analyst from San Diego, “who” gets the virus is just as important as “how many” get the virus. “Right now the average age of infected cases has dropped nearly 20 years,” Hart told PJ Media. 

White House Coronavirus Task Force Member Dr. Anthony Fauci acknowledged this fact last week: “The overwhelming majority of people who are now getting infected are young people, like the people that you see in the clips in the paper or out in the crowds enjoying themselves.”  

Why does this matter, you ask? Let me explain.

Coronavirus data says risk is low for most Americans

Young people, possibly from the recent protests and riots, are likely behind the recent spike in cases, and that tells us a lot about why the data looks the way it does right now. According to the CDC’s current best estimate, the fatality rate of the coronavirus for symptomatic cases only are as follows:

0-49 years old: .05% 50-64 years old: .2% 65+ years old: 1.3% Overall ages: .4%

When you take into account that approximately 30% of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic, that drives the fatality rate down even further. “The risk of death for the general population of school and working age is typically in the range of a daily car ride to work,” notes Josh Ketter on Medium.

Professor Mark Woolhouse, an expert in infectious diseases in Scotland, led a study that determined current lockdown restrictions could be easily lifted as long

Read more: http://electionnewschannel.com/top-news/144524-don-t-be-fooled-recent-coronavirus-data-suggests-the-lockdowns-were-a-colossal-mistake

Prosecutor in Oklahoma Charges Three Rioters With Terrorism: 'This Is Not Seattle'

A prosecutor has filed terrorism charges against three individuals following violent riots in Oklahoma in late May. Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said he's hopeful the tough approach will deter violence at future protests.

(Via The Oklahoman)

Charged in two terrorism cases was Isael Antonio Ortiz, 21, of Welch. He is accused of burning an Oklahoma County sheriff's van May 30 and attempting to burn a bail bonds business "along with a large crowd of other individuals."

Charged with him in the terrorism case over the burned van was Eric Christopher Ruffin, 26, of Oklahoma City. Police reported he encouraged the "wanton destruction" and recorded it on Facebook Live. He is quoted from the Facebook video as saying every single one of those that kill Black people need to die and "that's what happens when you got numbers outside."

Also charged with terrorism in the damage to CJ's Bail Bonds was Malachai Davis, 18, of Edmond. He was identified as a suspect from a Facebook video that shows him with brass knuckles on a bloody hand outside the bail bond business. He is accused of breaking the windows.

"This is not Seattle," the district attorney said Friday. "We're not putting up with this lawlessness here."

"Several people were carrying flags that were identified as belonging to the following groups: Antifa, Soviet Union (communism), American Indian Movement, Anarcho-Communism (solid red) and the original Oklahoma flag ... currently adopted by Oklahoma Socialists," police noted in court documents filed along with the charges, as reported by The Oklahoman.

The district attorney has also charged others with various offenses, including incitement to riot and assault and battery upon a police officer. 

After weeks of violent protests, there are signs that calls for law and order are finally being heard. On Friday, President Trump signed an executive order instructing federal prosecutors to charge those who seek to destroy federal property to the fullest extent of the law. On Saturday, the Justice Department announced charges against four individuals in connection with the attack on the Andrew Jackson statue in D.C. earlier this week. 

Meanwhile in Seattle, the CHOP, previously referred to as the CHAZ (Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone), the lawless area e

Read more: http://electionnewschannel.com/top-news/144464-prosecutor-in-oklahoma-charges-three-rioters-with-terrorism-this-is-not-seattle

Page 1 of 4

National Weather

Click on map for forecast

The Opinion Poll

Yes - 26.9%
No - 63.5%
Undecided - 9.6%

advertisement

advertisement